SOLAR LAMP CHALLENGE; MALAWI
PROVEN INTERVENTION TO BE DISTRIBUTED
Learn more about the Solar Lamp Challenge and how these lamps create enormous benefits for developing world families.
DISTRIBUTION MODEL INNOVATION
Malawi is the least electrified country in the Southern Africa Developing Community with less than 10% of the population having access to electricity in 2016. Only 4% of rural households have access to electricity. In the district of Usingini, most shops and homes use flashlights, kerosene, and candles for lighting while some walk approximately 18km to charge their phones.
Green Impact Technologies orders solar products from Solar Aid. This enterprise has a memorandum of understanding with Green Wing Capital which sells Solar Aid products to 25,000 customers. Customers pay 70% of the cost of the solar product upfront to Green Wing but are required to pay the remaining 30% the following month. GI-Tech delivers the solar product stock to Green Wing and pays for the remaining 30%, utilizing this distribution channel to reach last mile communities and build longer term relationships with sales agents in the area.
PILOT AND SCALING GOALS
- Reach 1,500 households within the pilot phase
- Establish 10 businesses by the end of year 1
- Reach 7,500 people by the end of year 1
Admore Chiumia - Managing Director